Research & Development Specialist
Feb 1, 2019
The National Center for Families Learning (NCFL) seeks a Research & Development Specialist to join our team! The position will ensure that NCFL-produced materials, publications, and professional development are developed using the current research/evidence base and promising practices in the areas of family engagement and language/literacy development for children and adults, with an emphasis on early childhood education. The specialist will act as the connector between research/program evaluation, content development, and media communications.
NCFL envisions a world in which all families are provided opportunities to improve their lives and become strong contributors to society. We address our nation's literacy challenges by engaging family members in learning, with a primary focus on families living in poverty. To learn more about our nonprofit organization, please visit our website:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that NCFL content is developed using current research, evidence-based, and promising practices (research to practice):
- Maintain consistency of message across materials, publications, and professional development
- Contribute to and advise content development for education and publications teams
- Advise messages for Development and Communications (grant writing, website content, blog posts, etc.)
- Review and distill information from NCFL program evaluations and research reports to support publications, curriculum development, and media releases
- Contribute to internal editorial process. Review internal papers/briefs written by evaluators (from evaluation reports) and staff for content; review, ask questions, clarify, and conduct initial developmental edit.
- Work with evaluators and education teams to solidify project questions and goals to support outcomes and NCFL mission.
- Seek publication opportunities to submit NCFL evaluation work, research, and family engagement best practices via academic journals, education magazines, and other external publication venues.
- Stay attune with the current research regarding family engagement, early language and literacy development, and reading, to keep NCFL staff abreast of current research and promising practices.
- Conduct literature reviews to support content and publications development as needed
- Stay abreast of and advance the work of early childhood language and literacy development
- Apply current research in early childhood language and literacy development to materials, publications, professional development and other content development.
- Explore data collection and research/evaluation methods for NCFL digital properties
- Continue to support and enhance a research-based culture at NCFL.
- Minimum of a Bachelor Degree (Master preferred) in education, with a strong preference toward a degree in early childhood education
- Strongly demonstrated experiences in education, early childhood education, educational research, publications development, writing, and professional development.
- 3 years minimum experience working in educational programming (early childhood setting preferred)
- Strong working knowledge of early language/literacy development, reading, reading strategies, research/evidence-based reading strategies for children and adults, and family engagement.
- Ability to write and produce content on a deadline.
- Ability to manage deadlines and content development with a team.
- Ability to design and deliver professional development
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of APA manual of style.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and sensitivity to writing for diverse audiences.
- Knowledge of product design, marketing, and dissemination a plus.
NCFL is located in Louisville, Kentucky. This is a full-time opportunity. NCFL offers a competitive benefits package for full-time associates including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, retirement planning, and more.
If interested, please apply online www.familieslearning.org and click on Careers., or visit our website,
NCFL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to workplace diversity. NCFL offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For information regarding NCFL, visit our website at www.familieslearning.org.Back to All Career Opportunities